Tips & Techniques
Here you will find the solutions to the most common issues you may experience when using Chalk Paint® or ANY other paint on your do-it-yourself projects. These tips are compiled from Annie Sloan, Barb Skivington, national trainer for all US/Canadian stockists, information gleaned from other Chalk Paint stockists, and from our Artworks Design Team's personal experiences as professional decorative artisans.
If you want to know more, each Annie Sloan Stockist is certified to offer practical advice and workshops on these and other tips regarding Annie Sloan decorative painting methods. Go to AnnieSloan.com to find a stockist near you.
HOW IS CHALK PAINT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER PAINTS?
- How is Chalk Paint® different from other paints?
BEFORE YOU START PAINTING:
- Artworks 3-step cleaning process
- Do I need to sand before I paint?
- Are there any special preparation steps for painting unfinished wood?
CHOOSING & MIXING COLORS:
- How do I find the perfect color for my project?
- Extending the range of Chalk Paint® colors
- Mixing your own Colour
- Is Graphite Chalk Paint a true black?
APPLYING CHALK PAINT:
- How to use Chalk Paint
- What is the best way to apply Chalk Paint?
- What type of brush should I use?
- What is the easiest way to distress my finish for a more aged look?
PAINTING ON A VARIETY OF SURFACES:
- Chalk Paint® on floors
- Chalk Paint® on furniture
- Chalk Paint in the garden
- Chalk Paint® on kitchen cabinets
- Painting Cabinetry
- Chalk paint on metal
- Chalk Paint on glass & mirrors
- Chalk Paint® on walls
- Dying Fabric & Painting Upholstery
- Are Chalk Paint & Soft Wax safe for use on baby cribs?
- Are Chalk Paint & Soft Wax good choices for cabinet & bathroom cabinets?
- Can I paint my countertop and backsplash with Chalk Paint?
- Can I paint my fireplace surround with Chalk Paint?
- Can I paint melamine or laminate furniture with Chalk Paint?
FINISHING YOUR PROJECT:
- What is the best way to apply Soft Wax?
- Working with Soft Wax
- Working with Dark Wax
- What is the best way to apply Annie Sloan Lacquer?
- I nned a durable finish for my kitchen table that I can clean frequently. Our kids tend to be rough on things? What should I use?
- I finished my project and I've changed my mind about the color. Can I paint over Soft Wax?
- Can Soft Wax be used on outdoor projects?
- Can I seal my outdoor patio with Annie Sloan Lacquer?
- What is cure time?
- How long will it take for my finish to cure?
- How do I care for my painted furniture?
- Can I apply another clear protective finish over Soft Wax?
- What to do if stains bleed through the paint?
- A yellow or pink stain has appeared in my new paint layer. How can I cover it?
- My paint is not sticking. What should I do?
- I painted a piece of furniture that had been previously maintained with spray furniture polish & the paint cracked. How do I fix this?
- My finish feels sticky and leave fingerprints. What can I do?
- A water glass left a mark in my finish. How do I repair this?
- What is the best way to remove wax?
Want to know more? Each Annie Sloan Stockist can offer you workshops and practical advise on these and other tips from the Annie Sloan Method.